Howdy Y'all! Welcome to my turn on the 2016 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop! It's been a great hop and I hope you've enjoyed meeting all the new quilt bloggers out in cyber-space. If you've never visited my little corner of the blogiverse, then pull up a chair and grab a cup o' joe and let's get to know each other.
Hi! I'm Sharla, the designer, sewist, quilter, crafter and more at Thistle Thicket Studio. This is the second year that I have participated in the New Quilt Bloggers Group and I participated in this blog hop last year, so if you want to see what I wrote about myself last year, sneak a peek here. Since I shared my life history last year, today I thought I'd share what I've been up to in the last year.
I've been sewing most of my life and quilting for many years too. I've been doing more designing of my own quilts lately and have had a couple of 'recipes' featured on Moda Bake Shop, like the "Howdy Y'all" quilt above and my first 'recipe' called "Chainlinks" below.
I designed this "Robots All In A Row" quilt for my grandson. Someday I hope to sit down, decipher all my notes on making this and write a pattern for this one!
Although I started out as a traditional quilter, I am moving more and more toward modern quilts as you can tell from my photos of late. This is a mini quilt I designed for Pat Bravo Designs earlier this year called "Whirl & Twirl". Check out my tutorial here.
I've been exploring block designs that create secondary patterns this year. The first one I designed was called "Spinners" and was for Paintbrush Studio's New Block Blog Hop.
This block creates spinning pinwheels when multiple blocks are sewn together.
I just found out that my Spinners block will be included in the 2017 Quilter's Planner designed by the very talented Stephanie Palmer of Late Night Quilter (who just happens to be my Hive Host this year)! They will be available in October - with pre-ordering available in late August, so be sure to reserve one. I'm so excited!
One of the fun things about this blog is the tips and fun facts each blogger is sharing with everyone, so here's mine.....
Blogging Tip: Want to make your own social media buttons for your blog? I found great instructional resources online. I made my new social media icons following a post by Made in Craftadise (although I used Photoshop instead of PicMonkey). I just love my new thread spool social media icons....
Quilting Tip: Quilt inspiration is everywhere! When you see something that would make a great quilt pattern, take a photo of it! I have files on my phone of quilting inspiration - one file is solely photos of hotel carpeting!
Quilting Question: My dream is to design my own fabric. Do you have any great online resources on textile design? Preferably free:)
Five Fun Facts About Me:
- I'm a farmer's wife from Kansas and enjoy a slower paced life in the country after years in the economic development field. I just spent the last 3 weeks driving a combine in wheat harvest!
- I'm a mom to two thirty-somethings: a high school teaching daughter and computer/electrical engineering son; and a nana to two of the cutest and orneriest grandsons, age 2 & 5.
- Besides quilting, I love antiquing and collect many things including jadeite dishes, toy sewing machines, vintage Christmas ornaments, old sewing notions, and yardsticks.
- If I'm not quilting, I'm crafting or decorating and I share those projects on this blog too.
- I love to travel, but don't get to do as much as I'd like. Right now, I'm planning my annual Girl's Quilting Road Trip for my birthday in August. There are eight of us who will be loading up in the van for a 3-day shop hopping extravaganza that will include a day at Missouri Star Quilt Co.! Can't wait.
Then stop by one of our blog hop hosts - Stephanie @ Late Night Quilter, Cheryl @ Meadow Mist Designs & Yvonne @ Quilting JetGirl - for details on this week's giveaways.
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and getting to know me a little better!