I'm not really sure why it took me so long to dig into this project because it went together really easy. I drafted my pattern on graph paper, then set about sewing the quilt top together in horizontal sections. I raw edge machine appliqued the Batman logo on the chest block before sewing that section.
I thought the challenge on this quilt was going to be sewing the curved sections on the bottom of Batman's cape (I used Sew Kind of Wonderful's Quick Curve Ruler - easy peasy), but the real challenge came when trying to decide how to quilt it.
I fell in love with this "KaPow-Slam-Wham" digital quilting pattern by It's A Quilt Thing but thought it would be too busy to quilt over the top of Batman, so I decided to quilt it as a background fill. I quilted Batman using P2P lines which I thought would not distract the eye.
Pow! A pop of orange for the binding really punched up the drama of the quilt.
With the left over fabric, I made a matching travel-size pillow case with an inner pillow case in orange.
I ran out this morning after finishing the binding for a quick photo in the snow. I'm hoping to get better photos later. And I can't wait to get a photo of the quilt with my little super hero in his Batman costume!
I would love to publish a pattern for this quilt and I'm currently researching the licensing issues on the licensed Batman character. Anyone with any knowledge or advice out there?
- Quilt Pattern: Lego Batman designed by me, aka Thistle Thicket Studio.
- Fabric: #520211A, Batman: TM/MC & DC Comics, Eugene Textiles found at JoAnns. Kona Cotton solids (sorry I didn't record the exact colors).
- Finished Size: 60" x 60"
- Backing: The same Batman fabric listed above.
- Binding: Kona Cotton in a shade of orange.
- Batting: Hobbs 80-20.
- Quilting: Quilted on a Gammill Statler longarm using P2P lines on Batman. KaPow-Slam-Wham digital pattern by It's A Quilt Thing.
- Thread: Piecing thread was Aurifil 2730 50 wt. and Mettler 50 wt. in black. Quilting thread was Signature Solids in Buttercup, Ivory & Oyster Shell, and Aurifil 2730 50 wt.
This is my first finish of 2017 and for the first quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long. So happy to mark this one of my to-do list!