My interpretation of a medley of 9-patches was to make each 9-patch different. My personal challenge was to make them cohesive. To do that, I chose to make 4-patches in the corners of each block. But before I could make my blocks, I had to determine what size of quilt and what size of blocks to make. After some thought, I decided to make each of my rows 60" wide because a variety of block sizes (2", 3", 4", 5", 6", & 10") would all divide evenly into 60, giving me the greatest variety of sizes of blocks.
For the 9-patch Medley, I chose to make 10 six inch blocks because it would evenly divide into 6, making each section of the 9-patch 2" finished. With all the math out of the way, I began sketching blocks on graph paper until I had 10 I liked.
I've had a partial fat quarter bundle of Etchings by 3 Sisters for Moda and decided to use it for this challenge. The bundle is partial because I stole all the red fat quarters for another project, so I had to search a little to find a suitable red. It is not from the Etchings collection, but I like how it fits in. I did find an Etchings solid gray and will be using it to insert 1" sashings between the rows.
Since these quilts are a "challenge", I try to challenge myself to try a new approach or learn a new technique each month. But the biggest challenge for me on these projects is probably finishing them! Life seems to get in the way and I get behind, then pretty soon the project gets set aside and I'm off to a new project. The last two challenge quilts are still sitting in my sewing room, half done, and now on my list of 1st quarter goals for the Finish-A-Long.
Here's hoping this row quilt challenge isn't destined for my list of goals for the 2018 Finish-A-Long!